[Ti] where's the "short"?

J Winter day at whidbey.net
Tue Sep 23 09:54:17 PDT 2008

Recent problem, happened only a few times (so far).

TiBook Original/Mercury (specs in signature).

Occasionally, when I touch/move the open book, e.g., pickingit up to
move to differnet part of table, or, just shifting it's position:
splat! Machine has quite. Happens whether pluggged-in or on battery.
(I already know that PRAm battery needs replacement. I already know
there is a short in cable that connects video-half to keyboard-half.
(We repaired that short (worninsulation) and plan to replace that
cable next time opening the TiBook.(Anyone know the part number or
how I find oit?)

About the time these events began, I noticed that one of the screws
on bottom case had fallen out. (I presume that reassembly when it was
last opened included slightly angled-screwdriver, and I will
appropriately ask for more attention to that detail next time. (They
said they owe me a "free opening" i.e. no bench-fee, because they
forgot to install the requested PRAM battery last time. Plan was/is
to do that when i have purchased larger hard-drive to install, to
replace original drive. Plan this soon. Want this to be last time to
take TiBook apart (unless Motherboard or something else goes AND is
cost-effective to repair).

So, I want to know if this new short is likely to be on the same
cable I am about to order -- or, if it is likely to be somewhere
else, and if there is some part I should be ordering.

Thanks.

J Winter
day at whidbey.net

Power Book: That is  the original Titanium (Jan 2001), code-name
"Mercury"

400 MHz Power PC G 4, 640 MB SDRAM, OS X 10.4.11
Soon will get larger hard drive. Then increase to 1 GIG MEM.
Open to ideas for best use(s) of PCMIA slot.
(Have external USB-driven DVD-read/write drive.)