[Ti] Problems with Mac mail and gmail

Dennis Fazio dfz at mac.com
Thu Jun 11 05:35:48 PDT 2009

On May 24, 2009, at 4:50 AM, Ted @ Mac wrote:

> gmail ... I always have to use their web interface to delete e-mail
> messages.  If I use Mail, sometimes it deletes them, sometime it
> does not...

With IMAP, there are two steps to get rid of a message:  delete and
expunge.

Delete just flags the message for removal. Delete marks it for
removal, but it may stay in the inbox. Expunge actually removes the
message from the inbox and scatters it to the ether.

With Apple Mail, I think when you delete, it puts it in your trash
mailbox, but it is only flagged on the server. when you empty your
trash mailbox, that sends and expunge command to the server.

Using different mail clients (e.g. Apple Mail and web mail) can make
this more confusing sometimes.
That could be explaining the behavior you notice.

--
Dennis Fazio
dfz at mac.com