[Ti] Problems with Mac mail and gmail

Dr. Trevor J. Hutley TrevorHutley at consultant.com
Tue May 12 09:31:06 PDT 2009

I am posting this to the List on behalf of

Dr Fulcieri Maltini
11290 Alairac - France

who is unable to post to the List , because his post was "rejected by
the webmaster a couple of times for unclear reasons".
As you see, he has some severe email problems with his MacBook Pro
(and his iMac and iPhone).
Hopefully someone can give him some clues / hints....

1. I have OSX 10.5.6 and Mail 3.5.
I have four email addresses into Mail App :fulcierimaltini at mac.com, fulcierimaltini at gmail.com
, fmaltini at gmail.com and fulcierimaltini at compuserve.com (I will
discontinue this latter next month).

2. When iMac, MacBP and iPhone are on, I receive some emails in one
machine but not in the others. To be sure to get all emails (I get
dozen a day) I am obliged to switch off two machines and work only
with one.

3. Suddenly Mac Mail got mad: I receive all mails in double; when
erasing sometimes they go into the in Trash, other times I get a
message "The message “PV in Bulgaria” could not be moved to the
mailbox “(null) - The destination mailbox “(null)” does not allow
messages to be moved to it.".

4. When drafting a mail and saving it in Draft mailbox, this appear
three or four times in the Draft mailbox.

5. On gmail apparently emails are not deleted as they reappear
entering in the computer again as I see the mailactivity indicator
receiving 30 to 150 mails incoming.

6. On the left side column of Mail page where I have several
mailboxes, suddenly new mailboxes have appeared (Mobileme with:
Deleted messages (empty), Drafts (empty), Sent messages (empty), Sent
messages-mobile me (including most of sent messages). Other additional
mysterious mailboxes  are Gmail and Compuserve both including similar
sub boxes as with Mobileme.

I admit I have lots of email in the two computers, but I despite
having tried to erase most of them and in particular gmail,  they
reappear again as they were not deleted in the server.
I have now  19108 (!!) emails and, more I erase them, more they
reappear.

I am tempted to dump in the trash the entire Mail App  but you may
have some better suggestions to solve this mess. By the way, I have
Sophos Anti-Virus who detected a couple of viruses that have been
disinfected.