[Ti] Noisy Fan Again

Marcus Benjamin markymac99 at mac.com
Tue Sep 29 09:23:31 PDT 2009

It sounds to me like you have a fan with a bad bearing/bushing.
You can't take the panel off & have it get as hot as it normally gets
unless you introduce some heat to it.
But then the heat is from a different area than normal & it isn't
replicating your exact problem.

On 7:33 AM~9/29/09, at 7:33 AM, Simon Royal wrote:

> Hi.
>
> For the last few months I have been having some trouble with a noise
> fan on my TiBook. At first I thought it was the one on the right
> hand side (under the power button), but after closer inspection
> today it sounded like the middle one. There are three on this model,
> one under ear speaker grill and one directly in the middle at the
> back.
>
> I took the bottom casing off a few weeks ago, blew out as much dust
> and rubbish as I could and it seemed to have solved it. However, the
> last few days the noise is back and worse than ever. It is a
> horrible dry grinding noise, but I still can't 100% tell where it is
> coming from.
>
> Today I took the bottom off again, this time with the machine
> running, stood it on one end and then ran a number of heavy apps -
> iTunes, OpenOffice, Scribus, GIMP, Sequel 2 and MacTracker - at the
> same time to try and stress it out enough to get the fans on. Only
> the middle one came on and it was pretty quiet, just a normal fan
> noise. The other two didn't come on.
>
> I put it all back together and within minutes the noise was back
> again - and is still doing it now. Listening carefully it sounds
> like it is the right hand side fan. I cannot feel any air coming out
> of the left or the back vent, but when I put my hand over the right
> vent the fan seems like it gets faster and the noise worsens.
Can you cut little strips of paper & put them in the vent holes to see
if they rattle & therefore are spinning?
Just a quick dumb thought, or maybe a twist-tie from your grocery
store bread loaf?

> I have checked and there is nothing stuck in it and no wires over it/
> near it.
>
> 1. Is it dangerous, as in will it stop working?
It can be problematic if your Mac gets too hot too often.
> 2. Is it a known/common problem with the TiBooks?
> 3. Should replace it?
> 4. I cannot remember ever feeling the left hand side fan come on (no
> air coming out), would this put additional stress on the other two
> fans?
> 5. Can anyone with a Ti tell me if their left hand side fan comes on?
> 6. Can I spray it with WD40 or anything similar?
NEVER spray WD-40 on a fan assembly especially in small electronics.
WD-40 is a Water Deterrent
> 7. Is it the fan or is it just a noise vibration through some of the
> casing?
It sounds to me like the fan bushings/bearings are shot, I've had that
a lot.
> 8. What would be needed for all the fans to come on?
Email me back to remind me, I should have a take-apart guide for you.

Good Luck,

Marcus