[X-Apps] Airport signal strength / MacStumbler

Mike Warren tvillemw at alltel.net
Fri Aug 1 10:52:25 PDT 2003

On Friday, August 1, 2003, at 01:01  PM, Ken Rossman wrote:
> I wonder if anyone out there has seen any report on a study on things
> like
> the effect of interference on 802.11 signals, and exactly what types of
> devices out there produce the most troublesome forms of interference...

When I installed my AEBS, I saw some info in Apple's documentation. Try
a Sherlock "Apple Care" search on airport interference. Article 58543
gives a table of barriers and list of prime candidates for interference
as well as advice.

Sometimes you can move or rotate the laptop to get a better reception
with the base station. If it's your base station there are other
options for improving the signal (changing the channel?) I have never
made any changes, I am not aware of reception changes.

Internet Connect's progress bar shows about 85 or 90 percent.
MacStumbler shows a maximum signal of 56 and a noise level that cycles
from 1 to 2 to 3 to 6479 (?) and back. What does that mean?