[X-Apps] Airport signal strength / MacStumbler

Mike Warren tvillemw at alltel.net
Fri Aug 1 11:09:56 PDT 2003

On Friday, August 1, 2003, at 01:53  PM, Ken Rossman wrote:
> I find this amazing...  two materials I would least suspect of
> interfering
> with electromagnetic signals!  Incredible.

The Apple doc I quoted gives low barrier to glass and high to
bulletproof glass, fwiw.

Having fun here experimenting.

I got the signal to go from 53 to 65 by moving a metal object off the
shelf where the base station sits.

Flesh and bones is one of the worst barriers -- my partner's standing
between me and the base station was enough to send the signal into red
territory (40).

And moving the laptop is enough to interrupt the signal, it takes a
couple of seconds to recover signal strength. Perhaps, walking around
with MacStumbler can give false negative results.