[X-Apps] Safari warning...

Bill Reburn bill at pacificcoast.net
Fri Jan 10 08:23:20 PST 2003

I did - Steve specifically mentioned this is a Beta.. They can't make those
sheets any larger!

Good thing I didn't install this on my work machine, apparently the
installer renamed some users Home folders! Entire directories have been
erased/renamed.

Now Beta software is Beta software.. But just like that nasty iTunes inaller
fiasco a while back - this is a case of some really messy programming. No
way in heck - Beta or not, should a download wipe someone's Home directory!
or cause any of the other problems for that matter (in my case an invisible
tmp folder).

Makes me wonder what they're smoking when stuff like this happens -
unnacceptable Apple! come on!

On 1/10/03 1:06 AM, "peter boardman" <pete.boardman at pobox.com> wrote:

> Bill Reburn (bill at pacificcoast.net) said on 9/1/03,
> 14:31:
>
>> I fear this may be the culprit behind A) Macjanitor not
>> working all of a sudden. B) SoftWare Update giving an
>> Unexpected Error when checking for Updates. C) Classic
>> not wanting to Startup (which doesn't matter for me
>> anymore, because I just turfed it)
>>
>> Anyone else?
>
> No - all these are working fine for me, luckily.
>
> I hope everyone read the small print before installing
> Safari:
>
> IMPORTANT NOTE:  THIS IS TRIAL, PRE-RELEASE, TIME-LIMITED
> SOFTWARE MEANT FOR EVALUATION PURPOSES ONLY.  THIS SOFTWARE
> SHOULD NOT BE USED IN A COMMERCIAL OPERATING ENVIRONMENT OR
> WITH IMPORTANT DATA.  BEFORE INSTALLING THE APPLE SOFTWARE,
> YOU SHOULD BACK UP ALL OF YOUR DATA AND REGULARLY BACK UP
> DATA WHILE USING THE APPLE SOFTWARE.
>
> I wonder how many of us took any notice?
>
> Pete

Bill Reburn