[X-Apps] cant receive files using AOL IM

Neil Cadsawan rainer3 at mac.com
Mon Jan 20 11:41:17 PST 2003

On Monday, January 20, 2003, at 02:00  PM, Renita Williams wrote:

> Hi Neil,
>
> I tried to do what you suggested.  I wasn't sure how to do so, so I
> checked the mac help index for all references to firewalls.  I made
> every adjustment they suggested.  But frankly, some of the settings I
> do not understand.
>
> Thanks
>
> Renita

Don't worry about it.  Here's what you need to do:

Open your System Preferences and click on the "Sharing" button.  In the
"Sharing" section, you'll see 3 tabs, select the "Firewall" tab.  In
this tab there's a button that says either "Start" or "Stop".  This
lets you know if you're currently running Jaguar's firewall or not.  If
you're running it, it will say "Stop".  Below this button are services
which the firewall will either block or allow to pass through.
Services with a checked box next to it are allowed to pass through the
firewall.  Services for AIM and other IM services aren't listed, so
you'll have to click on the "New" button to the right of this list.
Clicking on "New" opens a dialogue box where you can select new
services to filter for in the firewall.  Where it says "Port Name"
select AIM and click on "OK".  And now you should be set.

-Neil

-------
http://rainer3.com