mail.app and MS mail server

Mark Phillips mark at mophilly.com
Wed Jan 22 08:15:06 PST 2003

I am unable to log on to the server at work using Mail v.1.2.3 on MacOS
X 10.2.3.

I can send and receive mail with other mail servers, such as unix
system at my local ISP. The problem arises only with the server at the
office. I am pretty certain the Microsoft Mail Server running on
Win2000. Exchange Server is running for some users, but I have no
reason to believe my account is handled by Exchange.

I can access this server using Microsoft Entourage from the same Mac
box. I have checked my password and user name several times, and these
are correct in the mail.app setup.

The admin at work says the incoming request to log on appears to
contain some extra characters. We have tried a number of variations of
the password and domain name values without any joy.

I have visited the Microsoft and Apple sites looking for related info.
I have searched "log on", "Apple Mail", "Mail Server" and "mail.app",
and variations of the same but without finding anything that seems to
relate to my problem.

The admin and I both admit the problem can easily be between the
keyboard and the chair.

Can anyone offer a link, or other source of info where we might find
some help on this?

  - Mark