[X-Apps] Path Finder as Finder replacement

Bill Reburn bill at pacificcoast.net
Thu Jan 23 06:04:30 PST 2003

What's wrong with the finder?

First off the Finder is SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSLOW.  Good for you that it's
perfectly zippy on your Dual CPU whatever, the finder is just plain SLOW
though.. People have complained about it forever - requesting that it be
programmed more efficiently.

As an example any time I open a folder with say 300+ (I work in publishing
so this if very often) items in it I cross my fingers that the finder will
not crash. If I don't sit there and wait for the Finder to finish figuring
out what's going on - it goes down, pathetic.

The fact is that OSX's Finder and extremely rich interface have a huge
impact on performance for many people. Sure you can have a million things
going on in the background, but try and do something in the forground while
that's happening.

There are a few Finder alternatives out there, I also tried one called Snax
a while back - very very fast.

Sorry Pete, I have no experience using the app you're looking at.

On 1/23/03 5:04 AM, "peter boardman" <pete.boardman at pobox.com> wrote:

> Albert W D'Amanda (aldamanda at comcast.net) said on
> 23/1/03, 07:55:
>
>> What"s wrong with the present Apple X.2 Finder for you
>> to say this?
>
> I didn't say "wrong". I asked if anybody had any experience of using it as  a
> replacement.
>
> Pete

Bill Reburn