[X-Apps] OS X remote control drivers for Nikon Coolpix cameras

John Pariseau simplymail at ururk.com
Thu Jul 10 14:12:25 PDT 2003

> Now that we've become a digital photography family, we wish we could
> find OS X software to control our Nikon Coolpix cameras by way of the
> USB port. Such software exists for Windows (and Unix, apparently).
> Anyone know of any OS X programmers working on such a project?

You may want to check out photoPC, the Unix version can be compiled on
the OS X end (it has a CLI). You will need to compile it. I was able to
compile it, but I had to download and install Fink, and I seem to
remember getting the program to work, but the USB camera could not be
seen. One of the problems, with the 995 and up variants, is that the
camera functions as a mass storage drive - meaning, in order to control
it, you need to use the serial cable. There are serial cable to usb
adapters, but this means:

you need a serial to usb adapter ($20 ~ $100)
you need the coolpix serial cable
you need to figure out if the serial to usb adapter will work with your
mac

I have no clue if this approach will work.

libUSB is an open source USB project, which might be required. I never
got into this after my failure to get the interface (hardware) to work.

And, you have to realize (which you may, if you have been researching
this) that the Coolpix interaction (with software) is based on trial
and error, and not all cameras will work if not listed, even if they
are in the same family. I contacted Nikon, and they have no plans to
develop or sell software to control the Coolpix cameras. If you are a
software developer interested in the Nikon Coolpix SDK, you might be
able to sign onto an agreement, with the proper codes. Problem is,
people in the open-source community might not be interested in signing
onto an agreement, as it is not open source. Also, USB has extremely
slow bandwidth (1.1, not 2.0), unlike Nikons Firewire cameras, which do
have control software (or so I've been told).

Also, the beta software, iStopmotion, interfaces with quite a few
cameras. I pointed the Coolpix dilemma out to them, and pointed out
some of the open source projects relating to camera control, and never
received a response from them. I am extremely tempted to buy an iSight,
get a license to iStopMotion, and forget using my nikon for some stop
motion work I am tempted to fool around with. It just is too costly at
this moment.