[X-Apps] Open Volumes from Desktop in Column View

Peter Sealy pandcsealy at hotkey.net.au
Fri Jul 25 14:05:50 PDT 2003

On Saturday, July 26, 2003, at 02:22  AM, Dan Frakes wrote:

> Al D'Amanda <aldamand at comcast.net> wrote:
>> How/where do you select a default to open Desktop Volumes always in
>> column view ?
>> I have checked "open new widows in column view" in Finder Preferences.
>> But double clicking on any desktop volume icon always open contents in
>> List
>
> That setting ("open new windows in column view") applies only if you've
> never opened/closed a particular window before. Once you open a
> particular
> window, changed the view settings, and then closed it, it will use
> those
> settings over the default. Chances are that sometime in the past, you
> opened
> the window for the volume in question, and then closed it while it was
> in
> list view.
>
> The way it *should* work (and I emphasize "should" because it doesn't
> always) is that you should open the volume in question, switch the
> view to
> Column view, and then immediately close it. This should "set" the view
> column view.

What I would like to do is retain the settings for column widths in
successive folder openings in column view. When I open the folder and
adjust the separate column widths to my liking then close the folder,
next time I open that folder the column widths have all reverted to
standard narrow widths. I have tried the settings in Finder prefs in
various alternatives but I don't seem to be able to keep the widths as
I set them in the previous folder opening [hope that's clear]. Does
anyone have advice for this.
Thanks

Peter Sealy
Thurgoona AUSTRALIA