Apple Bitch Of The Day "Fix'

Albert D'Amanda adamanda at mac.com
Tue Jul 29 07:56:07 PDT 2003

Hello All

Quick info on my experience with an "out of the box" G4 FW 800, 1.25DP
that could possibly be of help to other do it your selfers  on the list

Problem: No Modem detected by either Internet Connect or System
Preferences -Network-Port Configurations or Apple Hardware Check CD

Continued on since I am connected to ISP via ethernet cable modem

Revisited problem yesterday. On the phone with Apple tech support all
day ( three separate calls), all of which "they"  tried to convince me,
after  running me thru their canned talking point procedures, "that I
had a model with no modem installed"
I found this strange, since dropping panel showed a physical PC board
installed where the modem should be, according to an on line G4 manual )
Final conclusion by Apple Tech: return to local CompUSA for repair.

Thinking about it over-night, I took a good look at the modem
installation on the MOBO. Removed the two hold down screws and lifted
up the card. There are no pins to bend so it looked at first like a
puzzler until I went to reinstall and the light bulb went ON!.
The interface connector is located on the extreme right hand side of
the card while the two hold down screws are way over to the left side.
If an assembler in a "hurry" places the card over the two screw hole
and tightens, there is no guarantee that the interface connector
properly seats!
How about that!

Bad packaging design. Its called " the  cantilever effect".Tighten down
the left side and the right side lifts.

OK. What I did was to assure seating of the connector, and while
holding down the right side to assume positive connector mating ,I then
tightened down the two hold down screws on the left side

Problem fixed-Modem is now detected

OK . Now my bitch

Anti Apple

1. Unit was shipped this way by Apple . Where was Quality Control on
this ?
Was there no final , complete checkout of this  box using whatever
tools they have designed into the final assembly , pre boxing process ?
Saturday night, second shift( maybe third) assembly?

2. Bad Packaging design. Hold down screws should be located on the
right side near the connectors: which  then leads to :

3. Bad public relations: after waiting for two-three weeks for
shipment, paying $2,000, Mama from Podunck Falls, Montana, 1000 miles
from an Apple repair facility, gets the box, and plugs it into her dial
up ISP for connection ( only service available) to the outside world
and  nothing ?!

Pro Apple

Well, UPS did it. Modem loosed up in shipping due to excessive handling
: should have payed for over night delivery via air( really big $$ here)
BTW-Retort on this: Apple Packaging design is faulty-proper location of
the tie down screws would prevent this problem

Albert