How to make animated gifs?

John B. Thoo jb2 at ms.yuba.cc.ca.us
Thu Jun 5 06:01:01 PDT 2003

On Thursday, June 5, 2003, at 05:41 AM, in X-Applications Stephen Hart
wrote:

> I don't know if there's a way to make an animated gif play again
> without reloading the page, but one way or another, I'd give the user
> the option to see it again.

and Dave Tinker responded:

> Me too. Gifsicle should have a setting for looping the animation.

Yes, there is a way to loop an animation in gifsicle (easy to do), but
Stephen H. had said

"A looped
gif on a page is distracting to the eye, and can become downright
annoying. Looped animated gifs are also rather dated, like the pages
with little guys digging to show the page is under construction."

:-)

I have been thinking about how to give the user/viewer an _option_ to
view the animation again w/out reloading the page, but I haven't been
able to think of a nice way.  Stephen, you suggested asking for
suggestions on the GoLive list if I'm not on a Web design list already
(which I'm not): do you have an address for the GoLive list?  I may
lurk there; I may even post a question if I work up the nerve.

Cheers.
---John.