[X-Apps] Print Preview Default

Bob Johns rjohns3 at optonline.net
Wed Mar 12 21:49:50 PST 2003

Michael and Thomas,

Michael - I screwed up in trying your method in that I apparently used
the Control key instead of the Option key every time I tried to reset
the default file. Both of your instructions worked as you described
when I used the Option key. However it did not result in the default
being changed and the Preview program gets used only once as I said
below. I got the "Always Open With" menu phrasing as you described but
somehow the default did not change, only the first use of Preview. I
must still be doing something stupid as I did the first time I tried to
use your method. It sounds as if it should change the default when it
says "Always Open With". (What I am trying to do is have the Preview
app be the application that is used to preview any file I am printing,
whether it is a .pdf file or not.)

Thomas - I was able to change the default with your method and have the
Preview App do the previewing for non-pdf files as well as .pdf files.
Your procedure also made the default indication move from "Acrobat
Reader" to "Preview".

I still don't see why I could not make Michael's method work, but at
least I finally have the default back to Preview! Thank you both for
the help. I appreciate it.

Bob