[X-Apps] A cure for writer's block

cheshirekat cheshirekat at cheshirekat.com
Thu Mar 20 12:19:06 PST 2003

On Thursday, Mar 20, 2003, at 09:59 America/Denver, hart at nasw.org wrote:

> Well, duh, I should have looked at your suggestion before firing off
> my e-mail. Thanks.
>
> Stephen Hart

For me, word games aren't so much about procrastinating or making up
excuses for playing games, but to get my thought processes something
"wordy" to grasp onto. I think it's harder to get out of writer's block
when I get stuck on a downward spiraling word journey. I'll look at a
sentence, note the part that needs to be re-written and keep finding
myself getting further and further from a solution. Word games allow me
to practice staying within acceptable boundaries while not limiting
myself with a scope that's too narrow.

I'm not a professional writer. I just enjoy writing, piecing together
words and practicing my skills at sentence re-structuring. I don't play
games without a dictionary handy. I especially like going to
dictionary.com, thesaurus.com and bartleby.com. While I can't claim
that playing a few word games will make me a pro writer, I definitely
notice a difference in my writing abilities when I return to my
writing. This I don't notice with other games or diversions that I've
been taught to relinquish the stranglehold of writer's block. So, I
just wanted to pass on to others something that works for me.

cheshirekat