mail (2)

R. Welz r_welz at gmx.de
Mon Mar 24 16:41:36 PST 2003

Hello.
I have a question and hope somebody can answer this:

If I have an IMAP email account, does this neccessarily mean that all
emails are only stored on the server? Or do I get local copies of my
emails on my Mac with Mail AND having the emails on the server?

The scenario I have is as follows: I have an IMAP server (Cyrus) on my
linux machine which gets all the system notifications about errors and
so I produce f.e. with cron and puts them to an IMAP account.

Then I have a printer which sends email messages about print jobs. I
think I cannot POP the messages from my printer I have to have the
server collecting the emails for me.

I want to fetch them on my mac thus having my mac as the center of all
my communications. For the printer emails, local copies would be great
so I can collect them for later calculating printing bills about say
all jobs for one month. If my linux machine badly crashes I would not
have them lost.

But if I cannot have local copies it can save ma a lot of time
configuring that beast (Cyrus, SSL, SQL, Postfix) and I might look out
for a POP3 server.

Thanks for advice,
Robert