OS X printing and HP Laserjet 8000

Mark Gibson gibsonm at bigpond.net.au
Tue Oct 28 17:00:55 PST 2003

I am trying to print a 3 page document from a HP8000 which has three
trays (Bond, Letterhead and plain).

The Word for Office X print dialogue box provides some pull down
choices. There is "Tray Selection" which allows the printer to auto
select or first page from tray X and all other pages from tray Y.

There is also a  "Printer Features" sub menu which allows you to
choose the media type. This allows for the choice of plain,
letterhead, labels, etc. There is no "auto select" choice in the list.

What we are trying to achieve is for the first page to come from Tray
2 (letterhead) with subsequent pages from Tray 3 (ordinary paper).

However as plain was selected in terms of media type all three pages
were printed on plain paper. If Letterhead is chosen as the media
then all pages are printed on letterhead, regardless of which trays
are selected. Unfortunately you must choose some sort of media,
selection transparency or some other type of media not loaded merely
results in error messages at the printer.

I could setup a preset for Letterhead and Plain and ask people to
print the first page of a letter using the Letterhead preset and then
print subsequent pages using the Plain preset but that seems a very
inefficient technique - effectively printing every letter twice.

Some more technical detail.

Attempting to print from G4 PowerBook running OS X.3, using Word for
OS X (with all patches applied). The printer is not managed by a
print server and is accessed via TCP/IP. Have also tried AppleTalk
with the OS X driver and both with the OS 9 PPD with the same result.

Printing from OS 9 machines (with Office 2001) is fine, i.e. you can
get the first page on one type of paper and subsequent pages on
another straight off.

Obviously we need some sort of work around whereby tray selection
takes priority over media type.

Hope you can assist,
--
Regards,

Mark (}-:

AIM / iChat: gibsonm1

ON YOUTH
"Some people say that I must be a horrible person, but that's not true.
I have the heart of a young boy -- in a jar on my desk." -- Stephen
King, 3/8/90