[X-Apps] PowerPoint hoses pictures in PDF output?

Steven Rogers srogers1 at austin.rr.com
Fri Sep 5 09:10:43 PDT 2003

On Friday, September 5, 2003, at 10:59 AM, David Tinker wrote:

> If you have Photoshop or similar, open the image and check Image >
> Image size and see what resolution and print size those pictures are
> at. If you got them off the net, they may be way less than 72 ppi, you
> may have to resample up and/or save them in another format.
>
> Web images "appear" at a certain size because the size is specified in
> the code in px, but when you print them at a certain size, they may
> actually be much smaller at a low resolution.

Its not that the quality is low - the pictures are either littered with
brightly colored squares or discolored areas, and some are completely
unrecognizable.  The weird part is that they're only hosed in PDF -
they look fine on the screen.

I went back into the document and deleted out all the hosed images and
re-pasted the original back in, and that fixed it, though quite a pain
in the rear. My guess is that PowerPoint shows some kind of rendered
"thumbnail" on the screen that it generates from the original image,
but it keeps the original asset tucked away to use for printing - and
its that original asset that got corrupted somehow.

If its a known bug, I'd sure want to avoid doing whatever causes it.

SR