[X-SW] finding the ip of my work machine (DHCP) on demand, file/dir sync'ing

Rad Craig rad at inductionconcepts.com
Thu Dec 16 22:44:09 PST 2004

I want to run Apple Remote Desktop.  I have a computer at work and need
to access it from home.  It has a DSL connection using DHCP.
Therefore, my ip address changes occasionally.

Is there any script, utility, app, whatever, that allows me to find out
what the current ip address of that machine is?  I mean something that
sends me an email when the ip address changes, uploads a text file with
the ip address in it to a website, or some other means, so that when I
need to connect to it from home, I can go one place, find the current
ip address, then put that in ARD and connect.

I want to be able to do the same thing from work (connect to this
laptop at home which also has DSL/DHCP).  If this laptop is asleep, is
there any way to connect to it via ARD?  Or does it have to be open and
running?  Can ARD wake it up while it's closed?

Also, whats the best way to keep some directories synchronized between
these two machines?  I have price lists, tech docs, spreadsheets, word
docs, etc. that I may modify at either location, I need a way to keep
them up to date on both machines.

Rad...