[X-Apps] Shrinking PDFs

Stephen Hart hart at nasw.org
Tue Feb 3 08:06:03 PST 2004

> Lotas Smartman, thanks for the suggestion.  I will take a look at PDF
> Shrink.  I scanned 25 pages of a document yesterday using VueScan,
> saved the pages to PDF from the Print box, and put them together into
> one PDF file using Acrobat 5.0.5.  The result was a whopping 43.5 MB
> PDF file!  I hope that I can try PDF Shrink before having to pay.
>
> Cheers.
> ---John.

As others have suggested, Distiller (now available only with Acrobat
Pro) does make smaller pdfs from text saved as PostScript. (It's
puzzling that Acrobat Pro can't do this itself.)

But if you're scanning a document, unless you subsequently use OCR to
turn it into text, you're dealing with large graphics, not text. So
shrinking the size of the pdf will depend directly on how much you can
degrade the graphic and still read it. You may get some saving by
making sure you're using grayscale and not full color.

My experience with making copied articles into pdfs was that they were
always huge.

Stephen Hart
http://eugraph.com