Browser problems

Roy van der Westhuizen roy at ion.co.za
Tue Feb 17 10:43:54 PST 2004

Roy van der Westhuizen wrote:

>> when I open a browser, I am still
>> denied access. My ISP technical director says apparently a lot of of
>> Mac people have a been experiencing this problem. Roy van der
>> Westhuizen

To which Stephen Hart replied

> I don't know, but this sounds like nonsense. There are millions of Macs
> accessing the internet 24/7 by way of thousands of ISPs. And there are
> even a few who use ISDN (like me).
>
> If this is happening with two different Macs and with different
> browsers, something is set wrong in you internet setup. Possibly the
> ISP changed some parameter without telling you. Do you have a choice of
> ISPs? If so, I'd try another one.

Thanks Stephen. I felt the same as you and finally today, the problem
was solved.
In order to access the ISP (who I can't leave because I am an agent of
theirs) I have to go through  the Telkom (national monopoly fixed line
provider) gateway. That flips me through to our main back-bone supplier
who then puts me through to our ISP.
The problem the whole time was with Telkom, who is my pet hate, and it
culminated last night and this morning when we could not even dial out.
I then found that if I contacted I.S., the back-bone, directly, I could
access the web. By the time Telkom sorted out the problem around
midday, we could also access the web. I think that with the virus
attacks they set up something on their system which was Mac-phobic, but
one never gets an admission out of them. Roll on open competition; in a
pigs ear!

Roy