[X-SW] Has Tiger been tamed?

Carlos Leal carlos.leal at qualdata.net
Fri Dec 16 10:31:06 PST 2005

Upgrading your SE/30 to OS 7.5.5 and using Shareway along with an
Appletalk to Ethernet bridge or an intermediary machine, perhaps a
pizza box Mac 6100 or similar that does Appletalk over ethernet
natively, would be preferable to me rather than dropping OS X for the
desktop.

Not wanting to get into OS wars but as one who does use Linux servers
amongst others, I'd recommend finding a workaround first. The break
between Appleshare and Appleshare over IP seems a logical place for
Apple to decide where backward compatibility should end.

If your Tiger machine is a server, then go ahead to Linux as the
benefits of Tiger as a server are not great enough for most
individuals. Otherwise, I find OS X in general and the latest update,
Tiger, to be too trouble-free to ignore. I do ignore some of the eye-
candy Apple felt compelled to include in order to keep the software
revenue stream going.

The SE/30 is a great little box, I still have a travel case in the
closet for it from when I used to fly cross-country with one weekly.
Whenever I think of this, I appreciate my Powerbook even more.

--Carlos