[X-SW] Entourage crashing

Lawrence Klinger zzippy at cox.net
Mon May 16 16:23:40 PDT 2005

> Entourage has never given a problem, but, away for a few days, mac shutdown,
> started it, Entourage received 89 messages then crashed. Launched it and
> after about 10 seconds crashed. and has done so about 100 times in a row.
>
> It tries to receive messages, the turning icon at bottom right corner turns
> as if receiving messages. When it stops turning is when it quits and a crash
> report form comes up.
>
> Thinking it just had too many messages, I managed to delete 60 messages
> slowly, 1 or 2 at a time during the 10 seconds or so available to me.
> Hopefully nothing important was deleted, I didn't have time to read the
> contents.
>
> It appears to have an incoming message stuck in its throat perhaps??
>
> Any way to force it to behave? I have a lot of important stuff stored in
> Entourage, I need to get it working.
>
> eMac G4 1GHz 1GB RAM OS 10.3.8       Entourage 10.1.1
>
> Fingers crossed you can help,
> Tony
Hi Tony,  I've had Entourage 10.0 for about a year now, and it's performance
has been about as erratic as you can imagine.  Every so often it will just
flat out quit right in the middle of pulling in mail messages. I get an
error message something like: Microsoft Entourage has unexpectedly quit.

In most cases if I just run Safari for awhile, then come back to Entourage,
it will run okay like nothing happened.  But I had a period about six months
ago where it was really in a snit, to the point where I downloaded Mozilla's
Firefox and Thunderbird - the latter being an email program - and ran them.

Yet after a week or so, I went back to Entourage and it worked just fine

Why  Entourage behaves like this I have absolutely no idea

I'm using an iMac G3, with Panther 10.3.9 and a lot less memory than you
have. Somehow I doubt that it's the memory aspect that's causing the
problem.  If I didn't like Entourage features, similar to Internet Express,
I would have ditched it long ago.  Too bad Apple's mail program isn't as
good.

Best of luck on your situation. Sorry I can't offer any solutions.

Larry