[X-SW] MS Office issues

Israel Brewster israel at frontierflying.com
Wed Sep 6 12:23:35 PDT 2006

My company is running an OS 10.4.7 server, fully updated, with a
number of 10.4.7 clients set up to use a network login via LDAP. Each
user also has access to a shared folder. When working in Word 2004,
fully updated, if a file saved to the users Documents directory is
saved several times (ten or more), an error occurs saying "Word
cannot complete the operation because too many files are open" This
happens even though I only have a single, two page file open.
Clicking OK and attempting to save again allows the file to save
properly. If the file is instead saved to the shared directory, this
error does not occur (at least, not yet). Similarly, we have received
repeated complaints about "out of memory" errors when saving from
excel, regardless of the save location. This on a machine with 1 GB
of ram. Anyone have any ideas what can be done to fix this? Our
accounting department is about ready to quit if we can't solve it
soon :)

Israel Brewster
Computer Support Technician
Frontier Flying Service, Inc.