[X-SW] Resuming of HTTP Downloads after a failure

Philip J Robar philip.robar at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 13:37:56 PST 2007

On Feb 28, 2007, at 1:14 PM, Robert Ameeti wrote:

> At 12:50 PM -0800, 2/28/07, Philip J Robar wrote:

>>> Neither Safari nor Opera are continuing on incomplete downloads
>>> for me. Perhaps it requires a compatible component on the server.
>>
>> I just stopped and restarted downloads in both browsers using the
>> controls in their download windows. What do you mean by "incomplete"?
>
> When a server is overloaded, a download will often fail midstream. I
> am thinking that some of these incomplete downloads can be resumed
> where they stopped.

If you don't have the browser configured to automatically remove
entries from the download list you should find the failed download
there. There are controls, whose functionality seems obvious to me,
that will pause, cancel, and restart downloads in both Safari and
Firefox. I also was able to restart an unfinished download in Safari
by double clicking on the unfinished download in the finder. An
unfinished download is indicated by a white icon with the Safari
emblem on it. Below the emblem will be a blue progress bar that has
not moved all the way to the right and has the name of the file you
were trying to download.

Phil