[X-SW] Deleting FIREFOX

Peter Saint James peterstj at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 7 07:07:44 PST 2009

On 5  November2009, at 5:02 PM, Rupert Hoyte wrote:

> FFx takes up too much of the Downloads Folder.  When I ask for it
> to be "Moved to Trash", I am told this can't be done "because it is
> open.   Please send me exact instructions as to what I must do to
> delete FFx completely.  It is stopping me from downloading other
> useful programmes, as with FFX there, the computer says,  "cannot
> download as there is not enough space for this new programme".

	If I'm understanding you properly, I'd say Firefox is not the
problem.  You can keep Firefox and still download other things if you
do so properly.

	First, if Firefox is residing in a Downloads Folder, move it.  It
belongs in the Applications folder.

	Secondly, I have found it a good practice to download things--
especially applications--to the desktop rather than to a folder.  I
can more easily see what I'm doing.  I am motivated to deal with the
downloaded item more quickly.  I have lots of space for it.  If I
don't want it, I can delete it more easily.  It also makes it easier
to delete the pieces that I don't need, such as the disk image.

	Often, if I'm not sure I want to keep an app I've downloaded, I run
it the first time from the desktop.  If I decide to keep it, I then
move it to the proper place in the applications folder.  If I don't
want to keep it, all the pieces are right in front of me on the
desktop.  I can get rid of them easily and cleanly.

	You might try doing something similar and see if you like it
better.  Or some other such arrangement may work for you.   Good luck.

										Peter