[X-HW] recommendations for firewire enclosures

Albert W D'Amanda aldamanda at comcast.net
Thu Dec 12 06:49:28 PST 2002

On Thursday, December 12, 2002, at 09:06  AM, Eugene Lee wrote:

>  Mercury Elite Pro from OWC, which uses the Oxford 911 chipset

Hello
Let me share with you my experience only with my equipment

I have the same enclosure with  an IBM 60GXP 40GB installed

I used it connected to the FW port of my B&W Yosemite/ G4 upgrade CPU /
X.10.2 Jag

Some things you should know

* It is NOT bootable on my B&W FW port

* No known problems with OS 9.2

*But two  problems occurred  with X.10.2 Jag

1.Since it is not bootable, I found a problem using System Preferences
to select a new startup disc. The system will not shut down to Restart
since it goes into a race mode,  looking for the FW drive firmware,
which isn't there!. In order to Restart with another drive, I first
have to drag the desktop FW icon to trash, which dismounts the FW
drive. Then I can restart
I think this is  an X.10.2 OWC firmware problem that can not be fixed
I have their latest firmware installed, per On-line tech help site.

2. Several times on bootup I would get an error message-  "--cannot
recognize this disc- do you want to
initialize--etc-"
Running DiskWarrior did not solve the problem
I had to reform and reinstall my backup files. Not a good thing for a
backup drive use !
I think this is the same incompatibility problem as above-No firmware
update by OWC for X.10.2 and the FW port on the B&W

I removed the 40GB drive and installed it internally.

The OWC enclosure not sits in  spare parts box on the shelf

But works like a charm on OS9.2 . No problem with Restart to another
drive and no error messages about reinitializing.

albert