[X-HW] recommendations for firewire enclosures

Michael Winter michael-winter at uiowa.edu
Thu Dec 12 10:09:41 PST 2002

On Thursday, December 12, 2002, at 10:36  AM, James S Jones wrote:

> 10.2.x doesn't play well with the built-in FW module on the B&W (and,
> probably, the Yikes/PCI Graphics G4s).

Just as a counterpoint, I haven't had any problems with the (all OWC)
Firewire drives I've plugged into the B&W I have here. I have 6 drives
that get moved around from the B&W to iMacs to desktop G4's without any
difficulty (at least not since 10.1).

I think we all agree that FW on the B&W is a bit flakey (still have
some trouble with a Sony Media Converter) but I have no reservations
about the OWC drives (seems like I keep buying them anyway).

One thing to note though is that I've purchased all these drives
"pre-assembled" which means they have been tested in that
configuration. I don't know what issues may pop up with putting in an
"untested" drive.

One other note is that the first thing I do with any of these drives is
partition/initialize with Apple's tools, which seems to improve
portability and reliability.

-Mike