[X-HW] Ethernet Transfer Rates

Kevin Stevens Kevin_Stevens at pursued-with.net
Tue Dec 17 08:04:16 PST 2002

On Tue, 17 Dec 2002, Vard Nelson wrote:

> We transfer large files (>> 2 GB) across the network.  At "100 mb/sec"
> it takes 13 minutes/2GB, much longer than the theoretical 100 mb/sec (12
> MB/sec), and a Gigibit switch only decreases the time to 11 min / 2GB
> file.  What goes on?  Are there software products or whatever that help
> achieve closer to theoretical speeds?

a) If you're copying files you're limited to your drive write speed.
b) 75-80% of theoretical is about the best you are going to get.
c) All file transfer protocols are not created equal.

If you want to test your actual network throughput, use a network
performance test like iperf that doesn't write to disk and see what things
look like.

KeS