[X-HW] Ethernet Transfer Rates - rsyncX??

Gretchen Hayman gretchen at sedl.org
Mon Dec 23 08:17:00 PST 2002

On Sunday, Dec 22, 2002, at 11:45 US/Central, Vard Nelson wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestion, but what is "rsyncX" and how does one "ftp?"
> "ftp client?"  We are a pretty simple shop!  I am familiar with
> "drag-and-drop"

Rsync (according to the man page) is a "faster, flexible replacement
for rcp," with rcp being remote file copy.  It's (generally) a command
line program to use to copy/move/synchronize files/folders.

RsyncX is the version developed for Mac OS X that supports resources
forks and hfs volumes.  The installer package, FAQ, and info can be
found here: <http://www.macosxlabs.org/rsyncx/intro.html>
The nice part about the RsyncX package is that it has a GUI that can be
used, if you are not familiar or comfortable with using the command
line in Terminal.

Ftp is the internet file transfer program, another means of copying
data/files.  You can ftp as simply as typing the ftp command on the
Terminal command line.  If you're not familiar or comfortable with the
command line, though, Fetch purports to be a user-friendly Mac ftp
client, allowing drag and drop file transfers.  Since I prefer the
command line to GUI, I don't user Fetch, but it seems to be a favorite
with the Mac crowd.  It's shareware and can be had from the usual
suspect (versiontracker.com):
<http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=1126&db=mac>

Hope this helps.
Gretchen