SCSI Tape Support

Bill Northcott W.Northcott at unsw.edu.au
Thu Apr 24 16:52:10 PDT 2003

>I was wondering what, if any, built-in support MacOS X has for SCSI tape
>drives. Specifically, can I attach a SCSI DAT or 8mm drive and access it
>using a standard /dev/rmt* or /dev/rst* device? Do I need a kext?

Last time I looked MacOS X has SCSI drivers but no tape device drivers.
There is also no support for the standard UNIX backup mechanisms.  You may
of course be able to find some open source stuff.

Of course there would be little point in Apple providing the UNIX tools as
they would not handle MacOS file metadata.

Why not do yourself a favour and get Retrospect?  It is the best backup
software available on any platform.  Rock solid, very easy to use, support
for every conceivable backup device and really helpful.

Bill Northcott