[X-HW] Oxford 911 don't mount

Michael Winter michael-winter at uiowa.edu
Mon Aug 18 07:15:51 PDT 2003

On Sunday, August 17, 2003, at 10:36 AM, Kansas Territory wrote:

> I had an external Firewire hard drive that did the same thing. I could
> not get the drive to mount at all.  I ended up having to remove the
> drive from the external enclosure, and installed it internally into my
> G4 tower, where it worked just fine.

I couldn't tell if you've done this yet or not, but before going that
far I would make sure you try a different cable and try both ports on
the drive (assuming it has two ports). I have an older drive where one
of the ports just doesn't seem to give me a good connection, while the
other port works fine.

A couple other things I usually pay attention to when a drive doesn't
mount :

Is the power light on and steady (not flickering)?

When it starts up, do you hear the drive spin up?

When its finished spinning up, do you hear a quick read or two occur (a
couple little "scritches")?

Sound can be a great diagnostic tool, so I like to know how my hardware
sounds when functioning properly, wether its a car or a hard drive.

-Mike