[X-HW] Laser printers (brother vs. HP)

Jacob Alifrangis jacob at braindonors.net
Fri Aug 29 09:31:33 PDT 2003

I have had a Brother 1240N, and it was no good.

It had no postscript and it's PCL support was shoddy.
However I can attest that the brother high capacity toners run about 70
bucks refurb and I usually got 8000 pages from it.

Brother printers are no good for macs though, The company seems to think
that using proprietary drivers or software instead of just integrating with
cups is a good thing. (sigh) so does Epson.

There are rumors from someone in my development staff (I know how that
sounds) that they are coming up with a standalone rip machine based on linux
and some very tricked out and specialized CUPS drivers for our Epson
printers. 	-- stay tuned, it will work with a mac.

Jacob Alifrangis
Lead Developer and CEO
Braindonors.net / Shadowboxer.org