iMac, OSX, and DVD-ROM drives

Wally Dixon wdixon at cisco.com
Mon Jan 6 09:32:59 PST 2003

I have a couple of late-model 600MHz snow iMacs and have put a Matsushita
DVD-ROM drive into one of them, only to find out after some searching that
there *seems* to be no way of playing DVDs on the iMac under OSX.  From what
I've read, licensing restrictions prevent DVD Player from being installed
on machines w/o DVD drives, or something like that.  However, it works just
fine under OS 9.2, which of course isn't ideal.

Has anyone successfully installed a DVD drive into an iMac and determined
how to play DVDs under OSX?  I don't want to, but my gut reaction is that
I'd have to do a complete reinstall of 10.2.3 and hope the drive is
recognized and DVD Player subsequently loaded.  Other ideas?

Thanks!

Wally Dixon