[X-HW] Rant: These Bloody Ventilators!!!

Gretchen Hayman gretchen at sedl.org
Mon Jan 6 15:35:24 PST 2003

On Saturday, Jan 4, 2003, at 19:14 US/Central, Philip Mötteli wrote:
> Has anybody any idea, what I could do against it? Without spending
> again so much money?

You mentioned that you have headphones, but have you thought about
purchasing noise canceling ones?  I have not heard the wind tunnel G4s
in action, yet, but I have quite a bit of ambient noise in my office.
My office doubles as the network server closet, so with about a dozen
1U rack-mount linux servers (various chipsets, single and dual), plus a
free-standing in-room AC unit (for when they turn the building AC off
at 10pm), plus a couple of network switches, a DLT tape drive, my DP 1G
G4 (non-wind-tunnel), and whatever other PC or Mac I may have on to
work on, it gets a bit loud.  I purchased a pair of Panasonic noise
canceling headphones for about US$40 and they _really_ help cut down on
the noise, even if you're not listening to music.  You can spend as
much as you want on noise-canceling head/ear phones; Sony makes a nice
in-ear set for about US$300, but my pair work just fine and are
comfortable for me to wear for 8+ hours a day/5 days a week.  They
won't make everything silent, by any means, but they _really_ help.
Just a thought.

Gretchen