[X-HW] Epson 2000P server?

Kevin Stevens Kevin_Stevens at pursued-with.net
Thu Jul 31 11:51:39 PDT 2003

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003, Chip Matteson wrote:

> I have an Epson 2000P inkjet printer. I downloaded the pdf manual and it
> suggested an Ethernet print server would work with it:
>
> http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/ProductQuickSpec.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&o
> id=67481&category=
>
> Has anyone used this or any kind of Ethernet rip with the Epson inkjets
> without an Ethernet slot on the printer?

I just got an Epson C52, and was able to connect it to a generic LPR print
server in lieu of the Epson-branded one.

Caveat was this:  the Epson driver, unlike the Lexmark drivers I've used
with OS X before; aren't available if you select IP Printing, and if you
choose Epson IP, you can't (or I couldn't) use a generic print server.

(This was especially annoying as it was no problem to set up with the
Windows XP driver from Epson.)

I had to install GNU-PRINT for OS X, which actually installed without a
hitch from a pkg installer, and allowed me to configure the printer which
works perfectly now.  I would probably be chary of this if I intended to
use it for photo work or for other uses that required specialized printer
control, but for grunting out pages it's been great.

KeS