[X-HW] Open Firmware and MacOSX Related Question

Rick Carlson rcarlson52 at nethere.net
Sat Mar 1 22:54:40 PST 2003

Hello,

I am hoping someone here can help me out or point me in the right
direction to help myself.

I have inherited a beige PowerPC G3 Mac which works great with OS 8.5/6

When I install Mac OS X (legally purchased from a Mac dealer) it loads
the first install disk and then reboots. On rebooting I get the happy
Mac icon and then it goes to a white screen with black lettering and
repeatedly says it "cannot OPEN /pci/Apple53C875card at D"

I know just enough about Open Firmware to be able to see that it is
looking for the SCSI controller and apparently cannot find the drive.

When I use Disk Utility during Mac OS X installation it says I have a
Quantum Viking 4.5 WSE 4.24GB drive on the SCSI Bus with a LUN of 0 and
an ID of 0.

How do I modify OF to look for the hard drive so it will boot properly?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rick Carlson