[X-HW] CD Tray opens on boot

Michael Burton m-burton+ at osu.edu
Tue Mar 4 17:24:03 PST 2003

>Thanks for the reply. The tech note you mention refers to the CD
>tray opening repeatedly on its own due to a manufacturing defect in
>the CD door. This not the behavior I am experiencing.
>
>To be more explicit, the CD tray opens once, only at startup. It
>closes on shut down. It stays closed if I reach over and close it.
>
>This behavior began shortly after installing MacOS X, although that
>may or may not be relevant.
>
>Any ideas?

I had this experience some time ago. I was going to say it didn't
seem to be related to OS X, but on reflection, I suspect the OS X
installer loaded a newer version of firmware on my Mac (a 400-MHz
G4), and I think the problem appeared at roughly the time I installed
OS X, though it was many months before I started using OS X
regularely.

In my case, the solution (not at all intuitively obvious) was to
disconnect my Wacom tablet. If I remember correctly, other folks had
similar problems related to other USB devices. I would suggest
disconnecting all USB devices except your mouse and keyboard. If that
makes a difference, I would look for any driver updates for your USB
devices. I would also wonder whether there are any  additional
firmware updates for your computer.

--
Michael Burton     m-burton+ at osu.edu     (614) 263-7948