Can't Boot MacOSX on G3 Beige

Larry Blodgett lblodgett at macosx.com
Sun Mar 23 20:28:13 PST 2003

Here is the setup

Mother Board  =  G3 Minitower $77D.45F2 Rev C (rev 3)
Memory  =  J3 = 256 Mb PC133 SDRAM
Video Card  =  PCI Slot F1   ATI,mach64-3DUPro
DVD ROM   = Matshita DVD-ROM  SR-8582

Hard Drive   =   ATA 0-0  = Maxtor 40 gig  (partition 1 = 7.9 gig MacOS 10.2.4)

(partition  2 = remainder of drive for storage)
                        ATA 0-1  = Quantum 6 gig (partition  1 = MacOS 9.2.2)
                        ATA 1-0  = DVD
                        ATA 0-1  = ZIP-100  (25.D)

The Problem is "I Can't Boot a MacOSX CD".  I have tried all kinds and I have
swapped the CD drive. Swapped a the drive cable.  Booting any MacOS 8 or 9 is
successful.  The MacOSx CD mounts fine under 9.  I have been running this
machine under 10.2.4 for over 6 months. Not out of the blue I can't boot a CD
and I cannot boot back into the OSX partition.

I am baffled any ideas what might be the problem.

Larry Blodgett
lblodgett at macosx.com