How can I fix this?

Andrew Secrest secreab at mac.com
Tue May 13 16:00:55 PDT 2003

I have been having these symptoms intermittently for well over a month:
a) When a file or folder is selected in the Finder, the filename begins
flashing. Sometimes this is accompanied by a continuous alert sound,
sometimes not.
b) Dialog boxes appear unexpectedly and disappear instantly, because
the default button is clicked automatically.
c) Line returns get inserted randomly in documents, and terminal
commands are entered before I finish typing them.
It was this last that clued me in that all these symptoms could be
caused by the return key sticking, but it's not, at least not
physically.  Hitting the return key on the keyboard SOMETIMES makes it
stop, but never makes it start.

I know it's not caused by something in user-space, because
a) the error message says 'mach_kernel'  and
b) it occasionally appears in single-user-mode or when logged in as
root.

I started using a new Apple Extended USB Keyboard shortly before this
problem appeared, but I'm relatively certain it's not the hardware,
because it has never happened when I'm booted into OS 9.2.

How can I fix this?

excerpt from /var/log/system.log:
May 13 03:14:45 Andrews-G4 mach_kernel:
USBF:	32954.675
+AppleUSBOHCI[0x17d0000]::ReturnOneTransaction(0xeec7b40, 0xec2b820,
e0004051)
May 13 03:14:56 Andrews-G4 mach_kernel:
USBF:	32965.675
+AppleUSBOHCI[0x17d0000]::ReturnOneTransaction(0xeec71e0, 0xec2b820,
e0004051)

etcetera... (small sample.)

output from USBProber is similar:
Timestamp Lvl  	Message
     5.329 [1]	+AppleUSBOHCI[0x17d0000]::ReturnOneTransaction(0xeec7180,
0xec2b820, e0004051)
    17.329 [1]	+AppleUSBOHCI[0x17d0000]::ReturnOneTransaction(0xeec7b40,
0xec2b820, e0004051)