Which DVD burner for bit-setting?

albo albo at critpath.org
Tue Aug 3 06:24:26 PDT 2004

Hi,
I send out videos to lots of different people and need to supply my
customers with discs that'll play in as many players/computers as
possible.  It looks like bit-setting (changing the booktype(encoded
digital identity) of the discs from +R to DVD-ROM) is the best bet for
this.  I've been reading up on it, and all of the potential variables
have my head spinning; is there anyone on this list who has experience
with setting up a Mac to burn discs using bit-setting? I'm considering
buying an NEC 2510a but will then have to flash the firmware on a PC
(Yuch!) using DOS (double yuch; and very confusing).  Are there any Mac
resources on these topics that I've missed (I've mostly been checking
out club.cdfreaks.com forums for info)?  Any Mac software?  (DVDPlusTool
is the only Mac app I've found that does it, but it only works with
older Ricoh burners.)  Any other drives that I should consider? If I get
through all of the hardware problems and have a bit-setting drive
installed in my G4, will I be able to burn the discs in DVDSP? In
Toast?  Will my G4/400 AGP Graphics be able to handle all of this?   Any
advice anyone might have will be appreciated.
Thanks!
Albo