G4 MDD -> G5; ? Use CCC to load OS/prefs/apps/docs all at once?

Jim Robertson jamesrob at sonic.net
Sun Mar 21 12:27:19 PST 2004

For weeks I've been lurking at the Apple Store website, waiting for good
pricing on dual processor G5s. Last weekend some dual 1.8 GHz models showed
up, along with a $30 discount for online purchases, so I pounced. Intially
the purchase info said it would show up in a month, but it was at my office
in 3 days. It's still in its shipping carton, waiting for a DRAM transfusion
and software installation.

Can I do the latter in FW target disk mode, using CCC to transfer everything
(including the OS itself) from my dual 1 GHz G4? Is there hardware-specific
stuff that gets installed during the OS installation that would make this
not work? I know that Virtual PC just won't run, but any other problems
likely from doing my software installations like this? Will my prefs and
licensing info for installed software transfer OK? Are there any mainstream
Mac programs that tie their licensing to the MAC address of the CPU so that
I'd have to reinstall them to get them to work?

Thanks so much.

Jim Robertson