[X-HW] guidelines for switching to OSX

MacTech MacTech1 at cox.net
Sun Oct 24 09:56:37 PDT 2004

I am new to the list.

Have a client with 20 Macs currently using OS9.x on a Novell network
still using Appletalk and IPX. The network people are pushing to upgrade
to OSX so they can do away with AppleTalk & IPX.

Unfortunately they have several older Macs (even tray loading iMacs, 1st
series slow G4's, etc). Yes, I know OS X can be installed on the older
slow processor computers, but am only interested in what will be better
and functunal. What good is it to but a bigger system, if it will
function slower.

10 of the computers are is the graphics department and are using Quark,
Photoshop, Illustrator and tons of fonts being managed with ATM Deluxe.

Please fill me in on what processor speed the line should be drawn for
OS X, and also about font issues in OS X. Fonts need to be turned off
and on as needed.

Thanks
SE