[X-HW] guidelines for switching to OSX

Kevin Stevens groups at pursued-with.net
Sun Oct 24 17:58:44 PDT 2004

On Oct 24, 2004, at 17:11, John wrote:

>> Kevin, I am not sure what smoke the network guys are blowing but will
>> know more Nov. 2. The publisher thinks that upgrading will do away
>> with AppleTalk and IPX (and has been told by the NW guys that those
>> things are bad and holding the PC side of the network back). I am not
>> a network person, so don't know exactly where they are coming from.
>
> Can't comment here, out PC tech guy wanted Appletalk dead (not sure
> why).

It's a very chatty broadcast protocol, isn't supported at layer 2 by a
lot of equipment, and doesn't scale well across enterprise LANs - much
like Novell and NetBios (old Windows protocol).  I'm not surprised
they're trying to standardise infrastructure on TCP/IP, there are many
good reasons for doing so.  I just don't understand how going to OS X
is going to accomplish that.  Both OS 8+ and OS X support TCP/IP,
Novell, and AppleTalk AFAIK.

KeS