[X-HW] Re: guidelines for switching to OSX

Eugene list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Tue Oct 26 02:55:44 PDT 2004

On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 06:14:41PM +1000, Bill Northcott wrote:
: On 26/10/2004, at 5:10 PM, Kevin wrote:
: >
: >When upgrading to OSX (if they stick to that plan) I plan on
: >reformatting the drives and installing OSX. I am on 10.2.8 and am
: >very happy with it. The geek in production who has an iMac running
: >the latest OS 10.3.x and does nothing but games, wants 10.3.x on the
: >computers in Production.
:
: Really Panther is much better than Jaguar particularly on old machines.

If the machines support Panther, I too think the upgrade is worth it.

: >Kevin, I am not sure what smoke the network guys are blowing but will
: >know more Nov. 2. The publisher thinks that upgrading will do away
: >with AppleTalk and IPX (and has been told by the NW guys that those
: >things are bad and holding the PC side of the network back). I am not
: >a network person, so don't know exactly where they are coming from.
:
: IPX and Appletalk are both horrid chatty protocols which get routed
: over large areas.  Their days are really past.
: IP does just fine.

Agreed, although Windoze SMB tends to be chatty too, and far more so
with NetBEUI.

--
Eugene Lee
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/