[X-HW] Re: guidelines for switching to OSX

Ronald Chmara ron at Opus1.COM
Tue Oct 26 16:17:54 PDT 2004

On Oct 26, 2004, at 11:45 AM, Michael Winter wrote:
> On Oct 26, 2004, at 3:14 AM, Bill Northcott wrote:
>> IPX and Appletalk are both horrid chatty protocols which get routed
>> over large areas.

All protocols seem excessively "chatty" when poorly implemented. :-)

(Apple's various forms of networking got a bad rap because large
networks weren't actually being segmented and routed properly, thus,
for example, a single trip to the Chooser for any one machine on a
network resulted in thousands and thousands of packets being
returned.... for no good reason, in most cases).....

>>  Their days are really past.
>> IP does just fine.
> I know very little about the actual protocols, but I thought much of
> this was fixed when Apple switched to Appletalk IP. Is that not the
> case?

Apple's stuff got quieter, and switched and routed 10Mb/100Mb/1Gb
networks gradually came into existence. If somebody is *still*
complaining about it.... well, that's a bit like claiming that having
hubcaps makes a car run slower. Sure, the extra weight is, indeed,
extra weight that slows a car down... but is it worth looking at, or
are there other factors that should be addressed?

-Bop