[X-HW] OSX and Formac Proformance

Cloyce D. Spradling cloyce+xhard at headgear.org
Tue Sep 14 08:57:29 PDT 2004

On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 05:37:06PM +0200, Are Hansen wrote:

: Searching the net, I found a solution: go in to Terminal, and key the
: following:

: sudo nvram boot-args="romndrv=1"

: But there is a Catch-22 here: I can only do this by booting in OSX!

That's true for that command, but there is hope!  What this command does
is poke a value into the OpenBoot PROM NVRAM.  And you can do that from the
OBP prompt!

So right after power-on, enter OpenBoot by holding down Option-OpenApple-O-F.
Mash them together and hold them until you get to the prompt.  There's
some banner info; on my TiBook it looks like

   Apple PowerBook3,5 4.5.3f2 BootROM build on 10/25/02 at 10:31:30
   Copyright 1994-2002 Apple Computer, Inc.
   All Rights Reserved.

   Welcome to Open Firmware, the system time and date is: 23:49:14 09/14/2004
     The battery capacity is: 81 percent

   To continue booting, type "mac-boot" and press return.
   To shut down, type "shut-down" and press return.

    ok
   0 >

The "0 >" is the prompt.

Enter

  setenv boot-args romndrv=1
  printenv boot-args
  mac-boot

The printenv is just so you can verify that it was set to what you want.
You can look at all the variables if you do just 'printenv' by itself.

It's possible to put this in the nvramrc, where it should in theory always
be applied, but I'm not familiar enough with Apple's OBP to tell you how
to do it without screwing stuff up.

Good luck!
--
Cloyce