[X-HW] When is a 1 GByte 3200 DIMM not a 1GByte DIMM

Eugene list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Thu Jan 20 02:09:56 PST 2005

On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 08:07:23AM -0800, Jim Robertson wrote:
:
: I've just had my very first experience with mail-order memory that didn't
: work as I expected. I've been installing memory in Macs since BEFORE
: customers were supposed to do it (back when I had to solder on the
: motherboard to enable my Mac Plus to read its then-HUGE capacity of 4
: megabytes).
:
: I ordered two generic PC3200 400 MHz 1 Gbyte DIMMs, installed them in my
: first generation dual 1.8 GHz G5, expressed satisfaction when the machine
: booted and passed its boot-up tests, but when I checked System Profiler, it
: told me I'd installed 512 Mbyte DIMMs, not 1 Gbyte sticks, and that my total
: RAM had bumped from 512 Mbytes to 1.5 Gbytes.
:
: The mail-order house where I purchased the memory told me they're "not
: programmed to be read as 1 Gbyte modules. They're cross-shipping me
: replacement sticks (at a slightly higher price), but I've never encountered
: this problem before. Am I just lucky? Does this make sense?

If the hardware cannot read the memory sticks as 1 GB modules, how can
the OS hope to see it?  Sounds like B.S. to me.  Once the replacement
modules come in, make sure they work, then request that they refund you
the difference for that "slightly higher price" junk.  If they refuse,
never deal with that company again, and pass on your experiences to us
so that others can avoid them.

--
Eugene Lee
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/