[X-HW] Transferring OS X to a new hard drive

Stacy Dunkle sdunkle at pennswoods.net
Wed Jan 31 23:49:09 PST 2007

Quoting Paul Greene <techlists at comcast.net>:

> I don't need to boot from the external drive. If I can transfer the
> image over to the external drive, swap the drives, and the new drive
> will be bootable, I'll be good to go.
>
> Btw, in Finder | Help, it refers to "Tiger" and not "Panther". Tiger is
> a newer version than Panther, right?
>
> Paul

Yes, Tiger is newer.

Just some advice, the USB ports in a CRT iMac like that will be USB 1.1, which
is rather slow, and thus the image will take a long time to make. If it's a
slot-loading iMac, and 400mhz or faster, it should have firewire ports, which
are much faster than the older USB 1.1, and thus you should try to get a
firewire enclosure for the temporarily-external hard drive.

Then later on if you want to burn CD's and/or DVD's on that iMac at a decent
speed, you can put a burner in that firewire enclosure and use it for that. :)

-Stace